The Dynamic Server is a standardised virtual server, available in different sizes. It is recommended to use Dynamic Server in case you are in need for a single server with a straight forward configuration. In this case knowledge of vCloud Director is not needed. The Dynamic Server is more cost effective compared to a single server created in a Dynamic Data Center.
Create a Dynamic Server
1) Create a new Dynamic Server: one single virtual server, with simple network capabilities and simplified management options.
3) Choose a name for the Dynamic Server to be created.
4) Select the server size from the drop-down list. It defines the CPU power and RAM memory.
5) Click View Details to see the definitions of the different sizes. The hard disk size can be extended later on by adding more disks.
6) Select the operating system type from the dropdown menu. Windows and Red Hat operating systems are automatically licensed and are charged on daily basis.
7) Then select the operating system template for your server.
8) Choose the Storage Type you want to use for your Dynamic Server
9) If you select Fast or Ultra Fast Storage with Snapshot you can also enable Single File Restore which allows you to restore single files from one the hourly backups of the last 2 days or from one of the 30 daily backups.
10) Choose a host name to be given to your sever.
11) Choose a password to log in as an administrator. The password must follow the rules set by the operating system. Keep in mind that the default keyboard on the virtual machine might be different to yours. Some keys and especially special characters are not on the same key.
12) Select an external connection. If “No External Connection” is selected, the server features no connection. In case you have a LAN-I please select the appropriate one. Select "Internet" to connect the server to the internet.
There are additional option in case Internet is selected.
13) Enable ports for inbound traffic (outbound is open by default).
14) Mark the Custom Firewall required? checkbox if you need to open a custom port.
15) In the Port or Port Range textbox enter a specific port or port range.
16) In the Protocol Name textbox you can enter a name for your port or port range.
17) From the dropdown menu choose the protocol type of your specific port or port range.
18) To add an additional port or port range, click on the icon "+". To delete a port or port range select the corresponding line and click on the icon "x".
19) Enable internal network connection in case you have or plan to have multiple servers and/or data centres to communicate with.
20) Select the checkbox next to Yes to display pricing information.
21) Select Submit to order the server. Once the Dynamic Server is generated and ready to use you will receive an email and it will be present on the portal Site Homepage.
It can take several minutes to generate a new Dynamic Server.
Modify a Dynamic Server
Administrate Dynamic Server / remote console
You can access the remote console of your Dynamic Server. This allows you to administer your server.
1) Click the first icon to enter the remote console. To log in to your server as an Administrator you will need the administration password you have set during the creation of the server.
Start/Stop/Reboot Dynamic Server
1) Click the "play" icon to open a dialog to select to start/stop or reboot the server.
Reset Dynamic Server OS
1) Click the icon to open a dialogue to set a new operating system administration password. In case you forgot the password, it can be reset here.
Modify a Dynamic Server
Once you have created a Dynamic Server you can modify its parameters (resources reservation, connectivity, snapshot activation, etc.) at any given time. The action of modifying a Dynamic Server takes up to several minutes. You will receive a confirmation email once the Dynamic Server has been successfully modified.
1) In the main Site Homepage, choose the line that contains the Dynamic Server that you want to modify and then click on the third icon (the "pencil").
Modifiy connectivity for a Dynamic Server
1) The "world" button will open a dialogue to modify the connectivity.
Copy a Dynamic Server
In case you want to create a second server similar to an existing one, copying the existing server is the easiest solution. This is much faster than configuring a new server from scratch. The only thing you need to provide is the new name and new Host Name. All other settings such as size, connectivity, administration password, etc. are copied.
1) The folder button will open a dialog to copy the server.
Restore server storage Dynamic Server
To restore a VM or a single file, click on the icon shown below (arrow up). You can only restore from a VM or single file in case you have ordered this server with Fast or Ultra Fast Storage with snapshot and the Single File Restore is enabled.
1) Select whether you want to restore the Dynamic Server or only a single file.
2) Choose the day of the backup you want to restore
3) Choose the hour of the backup you want to restore (only available for the last 2 days).
4) Select if you want to restart the DS by yourself or if you want the DS being restarted automatically.
5) Confirm the restore and submit the order on the next page.
If you choose Single File Restore in Step 1 the steps are the same expect Steps 6 and 7.
All disks of the DS will be duplicated (with data in backup) and will automatically be detached after 8 hours. You can then select and copy single files/folders within this time.
Delete Dynamic Server
The Dynamic Server can be deleted by selecting the icon ("X") shown below. The server will be removed. Once the server is removed a restore of the deleted server is impossible. For this reason this function shall be used with care. Once the server is deleted it will no longer be charged.